Sunday, August 26, 2007

Word of the day... gravitas

gravitas \GRAV-uh-tahs\, noun: High seriousness (as in a person's bearing or in the treatment of a subject).

I've seen this word use over the tube from actors and actresses. I would think to myself, wth does gravitas mean and do they know what it means? I've seen it used correctly and incorrectly, I would find myself looking through the dictionary again confirming the proper use of this word. Well, now it is time to integrate this buzz word into my "vast" vocabulary.

(1) As I watched the case unfold on television, I could not help but notice the judge speak with gravitas as he announced the verdict of death by lethal injection to the accused.

If I used it incorrectly, then please do not inform me and allow me to live in stupidity. Thank you =)

No comments: