Sunday, July 1, 2007

Birthdays Birthdays Birthdays

It seems endless. In the last month, I have gone birthday shopping every week, buying multiple presents. This trend continues on. Well tomorrow is my little sister's birthday. Being the great brother that I am, I waited the last minute. Honestly I usually buy it with good time beforehand but this year it crept up on me. So thus it starts my journey for the "gift."

I usually like to put some thought into my gifts... unlike my siblings who have two rules:

1. Cheap
2. Take no longer than 5 minutes finding it

But I on the other hand like to give a gift that will be meaningful or has some longevity. Being the genius I am, I thought Toys' R' Us would be the ideal location for the "gift." In a sea of infants, children, and mothers, I lurked through the Barbie section, board game section, the pink section, etc... After maybe 4-5 round trips, I almost gave up. The endless supply of crappy/overpriced gifts and loud annoying children almost drove me mad. Lets take a look at some of these crappy toys that are being sold to the children of the world...

1. $15 for a jump rope.... I'm apologize $15 for a jump rope with Barbie's logo
2. 15-20 or so Barbies that look almost identical, say a few accessories
3. $60 for a Barbie dream house.. which looks like they spent not even $10 making it
4. Almost $200 for a toy laptop... about $300 more and you can get the real thing which can do more
and be more useful for your child.
5. Battery packs that seem to go in only 6 or more... please I only need 2.
6. etc, etc, etc

Well I found the gift, but I can honestly say that I'm not completely happy with it. Battery powered fishing
game, whee boy I wish I was a kid again =P But seeing the wall of Transformers did make me reminiscent of those days when I could play with them without feeling too old because they looked soooo cool =)

No comments: